A cover letter is a letter of introduction attached to or accompanying another document such as a résumé or curriculum vitae.
A cover letter should be a single page letter you include in your application, to demonstrate your experience and fit for the position you are applying.
It’s a way to explain specific scenarios and call out essential skills that aren’t already covered in your resume.
Below are few items your cover letter should include, unless the job advertisement states otherwise. .
– Name the position you are applying for and how it came to your attention.
– State why you are interested in the role and the company, what your current or previous position was.
– Add a few of your details about “Who” you are (personal attribute).
– Cross-reference your core competencies and achievements to the job requirement.
– A brief summary of your strength that makes you very suitable for the role.
– State if you are available to travel, overtime and weekend work if applicable.
– Thank the reader for their time and consideration adding that you look forward to hearing from them and make sure your contacts are present.
Remember to always keep it short, because it should be a summary and not your biography.